My photo
mother of josh, richard, and mutt. lover of books, yarn, and the quiet places. spinner, knitter, kayaker, survivor, vandweller, warrior.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Flagstop in Flagstaff

the fuel pump died on the rondyvan on I-40 in flagstaff arizona friday, on an overpass during rush hour. I was horrified. I was able to wrestle the van to the side of the highway, and did the only thing I could think of, and that was to call David H. of Vandwellers for a long distance diagnosis from georgia. As he made his (correct) diagnosis, I started getting spooked by all the tractor trailers whooshing by inches away, rocking the van. Mutt and I bailed out the slider door, away from traffic, and made our way to the end of the overpass where the shoulder was wider, and i felt safer.

I tried to call AAA, but was stymied by the fact that their number is 1-800-AAA-HELP. Easy to remember, but no way could I figure out how to dial "letters" on my palm centro's QWERTY keyboard. After several frustrating failures, I finally called 911, who patched me through to highway patrol, who patched me through to AAA.

My first angel showed up then. A woman passing called her husband on her cell phone and told him of the woman and her dog walking away from their van on the highway. A few minutes later, Tom Honea showed up to help. He showed me how to dial "letters" on his palm centro, and then let mutt and I sit in his pick-up to stay warm and await the tow truck. He was very kind when my eyes leaked a little bit, and made me laugh....over what, I don't remember......just that is was good to be out of the cold and in his comforting presence.

Turns out Tom has a business doing on-site diesel repair for broken down truckers, and has plenty of experience in dealing with traffic that doesn't move into the far lane. Anybody passing through there with a diesel who needs the kind of help that Tom offer, give him a call at NAzEquip. If he can fix diesels as well as he can be an angel, then he's the best! Thanks, Tom, to you and your sweet wife. I'll not forget your kindness.

Http://twokniveskatie.blogspot.com

No comments: