My photo
mother of josh, richard, and mutt. lover of books, yarn, and the quiet places. spinner, knitter, kayaker, survivor, vandweller, warrior.

Friday, February 29, 2008

the first thing you see: part 2

when i am at an encampment, i usually wake up at first light. camp is silent save for the occasional nicker of a horse. on this morning, i stay in my blankets beneath the small square of oilskin that is my home for the week. i have water and jerky in my pack, and eat while i wait for the sun to rise.

this is the first thing i see as the light grows. i slow my breathing in an effort to slow time.....i do not want this moment to end. sounds around camp pick up....wood being chopped, tent stakes being hammered, dog soldiers calling out to each other. smells of woodsmoke and bacon cooking drift on the air. barefoot children gather on the pond banks, then come to squat by my shelter to show me the frog they caught. i plead amnesty for the frog....they cheerfully grant it. the sun burns off the last of the mist, and i know where i am.


i am home.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean.

davka said...

sounds like eden.

Anonymous said...

i want to go home.

twokniveskatie said...

:-)

twokniveskatie said...

well, i guess i should say that depends on where home is....

Ghost Dancer said...

I, too, would like to go home. "Home", for me, is simply ... "On the ROAD"!

twokniveskatie said...

aw, Dancer, my heart goes out to you. sending hugs....

Brian Many Wheels said...

My heart too Dancer! And I have to say it again...katie..."I LOVE YOUR KNIVES AND THE DISPLAY OF THEM IN THIS PHOTO!!!!!!
Bri

twokniveskatie said...

thanks, Bri! i have gifted most of them in the photo, actually. but plenty more where they came from. i am looking for a knife for my quill sheath, still......

cuzzin dick said...

Yes, the smell of woodsmoke and bacon = home. Home is where the heart is and my heart is in the woods. Wonderful atmosphere cuzzin.

cuzzin dick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

very nice

Gypsy Jane said...

OK, now I Really need the woods / a rendezvous / both.

cuzzin dick said...

for the world to wake up to this would mean peace, what else could it be?